Ayurveda and Your Health
Now you’ve figured out your Ayurvedic mind body type or your prakruti. So now what? How is that going to bring you to optimal health?
Ayurveda and ayurvedic health works on bringing you back to a state of balance for your personal Ayurvedic mind body type. Think of your mind body type as your baseline. When you are at this baseline, you feel fantastic. You feel yourself. You feel vibrant and energetic.
Have you ever wondered why you couldn’t lose 20 pounds when your friend could modify her diet and lose it instantly? Or why you need only 6 hours of sleep per night but your spouse needs 8-9 hours of sleep? Things like appetite, metabolism, sleep, mood, and energy level is mostly regulated by your Ayurvedic mind body type. Now if you’ve always been thin but in the past couple of years you can’t stop gaining weight, this may be a lifestyle change or a change from prakruti to vikruti.
Remember your vikruti is your current state or your state of imbalance.
Our goal in Ayurveda is to get us back to our own prakruti or state of balance.
Here are the ways you can get back to your Ayurvedic mind body type:
- Honor an Ayurvedic lifestyle diet
- Begin a dosha specific diet for Vata, Pitta or Kapha
- Follow an Ayurvedic daily routine.
- Follow an Ayurvedic seasonal routine.
- Learn meditation and meditate daily
- Follow a dosha specific exercise program for Vata, Pitta or Kapha
- Drink dosha specific teas.
- Following the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner, take Ayurvedic herbs to rebalance current imbalances.
- Work on emotional clearing.
- Eliminate toxins and toxic substances from your body. (i.e. alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, unnecessary prescription pills, processed foods)
If you don’t have the guidance of an Ayurvedic practitioner, begin by balancing your primary dosha. For example, if your Ayurvedic mind body type is Vata-Pitta. You would begin by balancing Vata. Follow at Vata diet, drink Vata tea, follow recommended exercises to balance Vata, follow a Vata Ayurvedic daily and seasonal routine. Usually, if disease or symptoms are not advanced, following this advice will make you feel much better within about two weeks. However if symptoms are persistent or you have been experiencing symptoms for a while, you may need to look further into your vikruti.
The idea behind Ayurveda is preventive health. If we can catch a disease before full eruption, we can prevent it from giving you illness. In the next blog, I’ll explain the six stages of disease according to Ayurveda.
Wishing you perfect health always.
Michelle Fondin, Founder of The Ayurvedic Path
Chopra Center Vedic Master